15 March 2011

my spring break so far

Several of us hosted a baby shower for my cousin, Sara. I put the candid pics on facebook, but I wanted to share this sweet tablecloth that my mom found in Houston. Katy is using vintage tablecloths at her wedding. We are all on the lookout.
My Aunt Connie sent these cute animal balls that she made. She is a sneaky crafter. I keep getting on her about blogging her creations so we can get ideas from her!

My spring break officially started this weekend. I met Hank for lunch at Walton's. I have been dying to try their pretzel bread. I was not disappointed.
Other spring break highlights: 
Date night pizza at Homeslice
hotwings with Hank/CJ/Mark at Pluckers
5k (walking and running) around Town Lake with CJ
Watched Saving Private Ryan and The Social Network
Tennis with Hank
Toms shoes hunting (no luck)
slept in until 10:40am two days in a row. 

I hope to do a little south by southwest while I'm here, too.
I made pork fried rice for the first time using the recipe from Everyday Food. It was so easy and was under $10 for four people.

Pork Fried Rice 
serves 4
Ingredients
2 tbsp vegetable oil
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 tbsp plus 1/4 tsp soy sauce
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp minced, peeled fresh ginger (I keep ginger in my freezer, it's easier to grate, and I just leave the peel on)
1 bunch scallions, white and green parts separated and thinly sliced
1/2 ground pork
2 carrots, shredded
1/2 cup frozen peas
2 cups cooked white rice (about 3/4 cup uncooked)  The rice should be cooled before using
2 tbsp rice vinegar

Directions:
1) In a wok or large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tbsp oil over high. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, lightly beat the eggs with 1/4 tsp soy sauce to combine. Add eggs to wok and swirl to coat bottom of pan. Cook, without stirring, until almost set, 1 minute, then fold in thirds with a spatula. Transfer cooked eggs to a work surface and cut into 1/2 inch pieces.

2) Add 1 tbsp oil to wok and swirl to coat. Add garlic, ginger, and scallion whites and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add pork and cook, breaking up meat with a wooden spoon, until just cooked through, about 3 minutes. Add carrots, peas and rice and stir to combine. Add cooked egg, 2 tbsp soy sauce, and vinegar and cook, stirring constantly, until rice is coated, about 1 minute. Let cook, undisturbed, until warm, about 1 minute. Top with scallion greens and serve. 


1 comment:

V said...

I keep coming back to look at the sandwiches. They look so good.