04 May 2011

cooking and stuff

 On Monday night I made the Pioneer Woman's shrimp scampi. This lady is serious business! She makes cooking easy, simple, and yummy. This is one of her sixteen minute meals. It might be one of the easiest, best dinners I have ever made. Ever.
 The herb planter is thriving. I've managed to toss them in almost every dinner I've cooked this week.
 I don't know where cake mix cookies have been all my life. I found out about these a couple months ago, but didn't try them until saturday. Easiest cookies ever. 
1 box cake mix (any flavor, I used devil's food)
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 cup of whatever chips or nuts ( I used butterscotch chips)


When you stir the ingredients it turns to dough immediately. Use a tablespoon size and round them in to balls and bake on parchment paper at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. Cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a rack. They are so soft even after three days.
 I also learned a new method of hard cooking eggs. I used to boil them for about 10 minutes, but this time tried Everyday Food's method. Bring to a boil (eggs in the water) and remove from heat immediately and cover for 12 minutes. The yoke is a perfect yellow and the whites aren't rubbery at all. I have never cared about the texture of my boiled egg, but now I see what they mean!
 I did some yard work on Saturday and rewarded myself with some perennials for my skinny flower bed by my walk. I already have Mums (that bloom in spring, they're confused), some Austin transplant Agave, and some Purple Heart/Wandering Jew. Hopefully they will fill in and come back every year like the rest of the bed.
I had two empty pots so I planted some shady color and some sweet basil (not pictured).


I hope you had a fun, productive weekend! I only have 21 days of work left until summer!

1 comment:

starnes family said...

I love PW!

Favorites:

Not Your Granny's Mac n Cheese
Spicy Chicken Legs
Best Chocolate Sheet Cake Ever
Best Salad Ever, Ever, Ever
Firecracker Shrimp